Why Learn Portuguese?
Welcome to our Portuguese page! You might have come to our site because you may be visiting Portugal, Brazil, Mozambique, Angola, Guinea-Bassau, São Tomé, Cape Verde, East Timor, Madeira or the Azores. (the eight countries where Portuguese is an official language) You may wish to learn a few phrases for a holiday, plan to live there, have an interest in learning Portuguese as a second language or need it for business purposes. As well as learning the language you may also wish to find out more about the culture and the people.
Who are the teachers?
Here at The Modern Language School we offer a range of Portuguese courses, along with the possibility of private tuition. The courses are taught either by myself, Lynne Hill, an enthusiastic, experienced and qualified language teacher (BA Hons 2:1, PGCSE) or by our knowledgeable and dedicated tutor Karen Groenewald. Both of us are passionate about Portuguese and would love to share our knowledge of the language and culture with you. We are always committed to delivering the highest standards of Portuguese courses that are focused on the individual learning needs of our students and we strive to provide a fun and stimulating learning environment.
Whatever your reasons for wanting to learn Portuguese, the fact that Portuguese (and Spanish) is one of the fastest growing European languages, makes it a smart choice and we hope you find a suitable Portuguese course here with us at The Modern Language School.
Hello! My name is Karen and I am originally from the North West of England but I lived abroad for many years- Mozambique and South Africa. I recently moved to Hepworth near Holmfirth.
I graduated in Portuguese, Spanish and Italian at Sheffield University. After completing my postgraduate studies, I taught at a Further Education college. For the past 22 years I have been working as a leader and guide for Ramblers Walking Holidays. I have had the opportunity to travel far and wide but have always preferred to work in countries where I can make use of my language skills. I travel regularly to Portugal and Italy.
I have now chosen to teach at The Modern Language School, but I shall continue to guide tour groups between term times. I hope to see you at one of my classes!
Which class is for you?
Terms & Conditions
- The school will not be held responsible for any loss or damage of property. The student must be responsible for their own property.
- Fees must be paid in full to secure a booking. Places are offered on a first-come first-serve basis. No student will be permitted to start a course until fees have been paid in full.
- Courses can only be cancelled by sending written notice to The Modern Language School. If this notice is received 14 days or more before the course is due to start, a refund of all monies paid will be made. If a student chooses to leave their course early for any reason (or cancel within 14 days of the course start date) then no refund will be made.
- The Modern Language School reserves the right to modify a course if numbers are insufficient.
- If The Modern Language School is obliged to cancel a course, The Modern Language School will notify students immediately, and offer an alternative course or a refund of all monies paid.
- The Modern Language School shall not be liable for any loss, damage, injury, expense, delay or inconvenience suffered or incurred as a result of any circumstance outside the control of The Modern Language School. This includes lessons cancelled as a result of adverse weather conditions, or any other circumstances out of our control.
- The Modern Language School liability in respect of any claims made shall not exceed the amount paid for tuition fees.
This agreement shall be governed by English Law and the parties hereto irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts in respect of any dispute or matter arising out of this agreement.